Gopher

Cameras, photos, skills, ......

Moderator: cah

cah
General of the Army / Fleet Admiral / General of the Air Force

Gopher

Post by cah »

今天牠又給我挖了兩個洞, 我用NIKON DSLR相機的長鏡頭把牠照起來當證據!

請看倌們過目.

把照片放到最大時, 可以清楚看出牠長什麼樣子.
Clear shot of the gopher
Clear shot of the gopher
牠挖的2個洞:
Hole #1
Hole #1
Hole #2
Hole #2
On 09/06/2012 10:44 AM, Chang-An Hsiao wrote:
> 到過我們家的人都知道, 後院地面上可以看到隆起的土丘, 旁邊還有小洞. 就是土撥鼠 / 地鼠的傑作.
>
> 前天早上, 我抱著大一看到了前院草地竟然也出現了隆起的土丘, 我還帶他出去跟他說gopher亂亂挖
> 洞, 很討厭.
>
> 今天早上, 又看到了新的土被撥了出來. 我凝視了一會兒, 竟然看到了土撥鼠 / 地鼠的頭探了出來,
> 一面把土給撥了出來. 吃完了早餐, 我到前院去看看牠那麼辛苦做什麼. 正好看到牠探出頭來. 牠一見
> 到我, 當然躲回洞內不出來. 我就把牠撥出來的土, 全給撥回去, 把洞填起來, 再壓一壓. 提醒牠, 不
> 要在這裏亂挖. 我知道牝們可以東鑽西鑽, 把牠們挖的洞填起來應該是沒有什麼用. 只希望牠們知道有
> 人在注意牠們, 會到不注意牠們的人家去挖洞.
>
> 牠們又不吃草, 在草地下面挖洞做啥??
CAH, The Great
cah

Gopher - II

Post by cah »

I searched online trying to find any means to get rid of the gophers without harming them.

There seemed to be 2 possibilities: castor oil or natural predators' scent.
There are positive and negative responses for any solutions actually.

I found one fox urine scent pellet product (Shake Away) and it is available ob doitbest.com (Do-It Center's web site) so I went to Do-It Center on 09/12 trying to pick one for testing. I couldn't find it in store. After talking to a staff in store, I was told Do-It Center buys products from doitbest.com but they aren't one company.

Then, I saw a similar product - Bonide MoleMax Mole and Vole Repellent - Granules:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bonid ... -2064.html

I was hesitant getting it because it doesn't have detailed information on the product. At the end, I got it anyway. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to get it first and do the study. If I don't like what I find from the study, I can just return it.

The following day, I read some web site for the product information and it turned out to be a castor oil product. I figured, it may be worth a try. If it doesn't work, I will take my colleague's advice and use the trap to get the gopher(s).

I spread some pellets in the front yard using the technique I learned on one web site, set up a barrier and direct gopher(s) to leave. Since I was not sure if it is going to work, I spread pellets with 2 lines. One near the holes and the other 5~10 feet away from it so that gopher(s) will go the other direction.

I didn't see any new holes after that. I didn't know whether they are gone or remain dormant so I spread again into the holes and on the mounts on 09/17. When I was spreading the pellets, I saw 2 other holes side by side of a chopped down tree root. I am guess the holes may be the new holes gopher(s) dug to escape from castor oil scent.

It will take some more time to tell if this product is effective. If it is, I will apply to the back yard and hopefully get rid of them. They may go to my neighbors yards and that's beyond my control.
CAH, The Great